Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

EMBEDDED QUESTIONS

Embedded Questions

An embedded question is contained within a statement or a question. The important thing here is word order:

1. I don't know where the library is.

2. Do you know where the library is?

compare to:



3. Where is the library?

The first two examples show an embedded question. The word order is subject and then verb.

The third example is just a regular question in which the word order is verb and then subject. In this lesson, we will learn about how to make questions and statements that have questions within them. This lesson is similar to Lesson Six in the Orange Level.

Frequently these are used in conversation:

Question
Embedded Question

What does this taste like?

I don't know what it tastes like.

Do you know what it tastes like?

Where did you buy this cake?

I can't remember where I bought it.

Where did they move to?



I have no idea where they moved to.

Does anyone know where they moved to?

Why do leaves change color in the fall.

I don't know why they change colors.

Is there a website that can explain why leaves change color in the fall?

How long has she been gone on her trip.

I'm not sure how long she's been gone.

Does anyone know how long she's been gone?

How much did you pay for those shoes?

I'm not sure how much I paid for them.

Does the receipt show how much I paid for them?

When did she learn how to ride a tricycle?

I can't remember when she learned.

Do you think she remembers when she learned to do that?


Part A. Directions: Answer each question with an embedded question. These are in the present tense. Use pronouns in your answer whenever possible. (10 points)

Example: A: What time is it?

B: I don't know what time it is. 

1. A: What's her name?

B: I don't know __________________________________.

2. A: When does the game start?

B: I'm not sure ___________________________________.

3. A: Why is she mad?

B: I have no idea _________________________________.

4. A: Where do they live?

B: I can't remember _______________________________.

5. A: How does this cell phone work?

B: Don't ask me __________________________________.

6. A: What does she think about my idea?

B: I don't know __________________________________.

7: A: What's the answer to the question?

B: No one knows _________________________________.

8. A: How much does this cereal cost?

B: I'm not sure ___________________________________.

9. A: Why does it take so long for them to get ready?

B: Who knows ___________________________________.

10. A: Where are my shoes?

B: I have no idea _________________________________.


Submit your Answers for Part (1) one here orderly. 

Part B. Directions: Answer each question with an embedded question. These are in the past tense. Use pronouns in your answer whenever possible. (10 points)

Example: A: Where did my watch go?

B: I don't know where it went.

1. A: Where was she yesterday?

B: I don't know ___________________________________.

2. A: How did the movie end?

B: I can't remember ________________________________.

3. A: Where did they have the party last year?

B: No one can remember ____________________________.

4. A: When did you wake up?

B: I'm not sure ____________________________________.

5. A: What did she do?

B: I'm not sure ____________________________________.

6. A: How many people were there?

B: She can't tell ____________________________________.

7. A: What time did class start?

B: I have no idea ___________________________________.

8. A: How much money did you make last year?

B: I don't want to tell you ____________________________.

9. A: When were they here last?

B: He doesn't know ________________________________.

10. A: What was the problem?

B: They're not sure ________________________________.

Submit your Answers for Part (2) Two here orderly. 
(Sumber: Sanghrison_Facebook)

No comments:

Post a Comment